Do we identify more with brands than with race/creed/religion/ethnicity/nationality? Do ‘brand-values’ equate to ‘values’?
To what degree does branding exist as a set of floating signifiers in the global ‘image- repertoire’ above the surface of the real world [harsh realities hidden beneath]?
How much does it connect to people’s actual lives?
Can branding be escaped?
Is it ‘window-dressing’ for the dysfunctional machinery of turbo-capitalism?
How are designers, researchers, academics, consumers ethically positioned within it? Can it cultivate ideologies or help?
The 3RD International Conference on Semiotics and Visual Communication seeks to bring together researchers, scholars and practitioners who share a common interest in Semiotics and Visual Communication.
Proposals for individual papers, approximately 20 minutes long are invited, but are not limited, under one or more of the following main themes:
• Brand mythology systems, world views and sacred beliefs in brands • Sartorial Branding and Tribal Branding
• Branding for Political, Social and Cultural ideologies
• Faith branding and visual communication
• Language and branding
• Mythical and literary branding references in early advertising/visual communication • The evolution of branding in printed, radio, television, film, internet
and digital narratives
• Music and sound in the service of branding
• Branding and Typography, Graphic Design, Fashion, Textiles, Interior Design,
Jewelry, Product Design
• Branding through Architecture and Urban/Landscape design
• Branding the Individual (self-branding), branding the body in cosmetic and medical
practices, branding the suspect in modern surveillance regimes • Ethics and deontology of branding
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS: Kristian Bankov//Matthew Caley Hobson// Miltos Frangopoulos//Massimo Leone//
Isabel Marcos//Gregory Paschalidis
TO PROPOSE A PAPER, please submit no more than 500-word (excluding references) abstract by filling in the Submission Form at http://icsvc-conference.com/abstract- submission-2/
- Call for Papers 30th of November 2016
- Deadline for submission of Abstracts 31st of March 2017 (you will receive an
acknowledgment by email)
- Notification of Acceptance 31st of May 2017
- Deadline for registration-authors 30th of June 2017
- Deadline for registration-participants 13th of October 2017
REGISTRATION, Fees: €100 //Active Cyprus Semiotic Association Members and Students: Free